Schemas and Specifications
- Schema for ISO Schematron using ISO RELAX NG Compact Syntax
- Schema for ISO Schematron Validation Report Language (SVRL) using ISO RELAX NG Compact Syntax
Implementers planning new versions should consider implementing the additional features of the draft for the 2011 update of ISO Schematron.
ISO Schematron Implementations
Rick Jelliffe's version of ISO Schematron, for XSLT1 and XSLT2 systems, is available at this site.
Related Resources for Schematron
XSD to Schematron
XSD to Schematron converter (ZIP archive, XSLT2) beta March 2010 includes sample build.xml ant script.
Obsolete Versions of Schematron
For the specification for ISO Schematron, click the Specification link left.
The Schematron 1.5 spec
Well known URI
The well known URI for Schematron 1.5 is http://www.ascc.net/xml/schematron.
Root namespace URI for Schematron 1.5
http://www.ascc.net/xml/schematron is the namespace of the root element of a schematron schema.
Schematron 1.5 Home Page
The original home page for Schematron 1.5 at Academia Sinica. This page has details of various implementations.
Schematron 1.5 Reference Implementation for XSLT
Schematron 1.5 is obsolescent. For new and maintained projects, please use ISO Schematron, available from this site Schematron.com.
The reference implementation is a software project based around skeleton1-5.xsl. It has been tried on 12 different and the test results are available on that page, togther with API documentation and samples of .BAT files for running the code with various XSLT processors.
Various tools include an error browser and a validator for interactive debugging in editors.
Schematron 1.5 tools are still being ported from 1.3. Some implementations at the Sinica site are pre-1.5 (see below). These are should be fine for schemas that just use patterns, rules, asserts, reports and names.
Schematron 1.3 Reference Implementation for XSLT
Schematron 1.3 software project and earlier tools and schemas
Schematron 1.5 Schema for Schematron 1.5
A Schematron Schema for Schematron 1.5. If possible, please use your own local or cached copy.
XML Schema for Schematron 1.5
An XML Schema for Schematron 1.5. If possible, please use your own local or cached copy.
To help systems that do not understand RDDL, put the following attributes on the sch:schema element:
xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2000/10/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.ascc.net/xml/schematron http://www.ascc.net/xml/schematron/schematron1-5.xsd"
XML DTD for Schematron 1.5
A DTD for Schematron1.5. If possible, please use your own local or cached copy.
We do not recommend using the DTD except for document creation, because some implementations of XSLT do not handle relative file location correctly.
If you are not using namespace prefixes, put the following document type declaration at the top of your schema (after any XML declaration and stylesheet declaration):
<!DOCTYPE schema PUBLIC "http://www.ascc.net/xml/schematron" "http://www.ascc.net/xml/schematron/schematron1-5.dtd">
<!DOCTYPE sch:schema PUBLIC "http://www.ascc.net/xml/schematron" "http://www.ascc.net/xml/schematron/schematron1-5.dtd" [ <!ENTITY % sp "sch:"> ]>
Guides, Tutorials and Articles
- Mail archives for the Schematron Love-in
- Quick Reference Guide by Rick Jelliffe, including simplified DTD and EBNF productions for paths and expressions.
- Leigh Dodds' XSLT UK Conference paper Schematron: validating XML using XSLT
- XML.COM article validating XML with Schematron by FourThought's Chimezie Thomas-Ogbuji.
- (Unavailable?) Sunworld article Introducing the Schematron by FourThought's Uche Ogbuji. Might be good place to start for XSLT people.
- ZVON online tutorial by Miloslav Nic.
- XMLHACK interview with Rick Jelliffe by Simon StLaurent.
- XML.COM article Simple XML validation with Perl by Kip Hampton. Might be good place to start for Perl people.
- XML.COM article The W3C XML Schemas Specification In Context by Rick Jelliffe.
- UCLA paper Comparative Analysis of Six Schema Languages by Dongwon Lee and Wesley W. Chu from June 2000.